(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Friday, September 8, 2017

board#128: shortboard for nobody




[completed in May 2017]
Sold at Encinitas Surfboards, Encinitas CA

The story: I always have half shaped blanks sitting in the corner of my shaping room because either I messed up a dimension for a customer or I was just shaping for an video/photoshoot. And sometimes I find the time to finish them for fun and also to free some space in my tiny shaping room (no way I am trashing a blank!).

The shape: Board #128 is an example of a messed-up board. The rocker was not right (too flat) on the original board but by changing the outline/size, I was able to "rescue" the blank and create a ridable surfboard. This is actually a very interesting and challenging exercise to blend in a new shape that would correct the "defect". I learn a lot by doing that shape transformation.

The artwork: Easy and Meremady as it can be :) (I can paint as much as stripes as I want !)

No comments:

Post a Comment